Thursday, October 31, 2013

People Watching

Every Thursday and Friday evenings, I have certain obligations I need to attend.  On a few of these particular days, I'll find myself killing time at a Starbucks writing posts like this.

There's people, like the student to my right, pouring over textbooks with highlight-stained pages.  Quiet, calm, collected.  Damn near invisible.

My mother and I share conversation over lattes, taking in the surroundings-  mostly just people watching.

As with serving, there's always that couple that you're stuck waiting on-- the one that you could almost put money on finding them locked inside a steamy car in the parking structure, mid make-out session, while you are taking off from your shift.
 

That specific kind of  "first date" couple happens to stroll into Starbucks, and literally makes us think WTF or as some friends of mine have recently put it, "da fuq"?


 

The tall sneakerhead in a hooded sweatshirt and flat-brimmed hat is joined by a much too giggly Arabic girl.  Like a defective Tickle Me Elmo, she just won't shut the hell up.

I know it's no library, and it's certainly not church, but c'mon man, keep it down.
"Heheheh, oh mah God. I totally do that," she squealed.

Do what. My eavesdropping or "unintentional overhearing" kicked in.

"I totally take my purse with me when I go to the bathroom!"

Why wouldn't you?
Maybe you'll need a crotch stopper?  Maybe getting robbed today isn't a great idea?



 

And please.  In between giggling like an idiot at something that isn't funny in the first place so loud the entire coffees hop is listening in, please, flip your hair a little more.  A hunter on the prowl, she shoots an arm across the table and latches firmly onto the boy's bicep, steadily getting closer because her first choice of giving a handy would be too obvious under the petite table.  Please, keep touching your chest with your opposite hand when you speak because it draws the poor boy's attention to your only two redeeming qualities about yourself since intelligence is most arguably not an asset.

I think to myself, why am I single when there are dimwitted, superficial broads or even better, tarts who are even duller than watching paint dry in committed relationships?  Not my time apparently.  And to be quite frank, I've got a lot on my plate and it's going to take someone who is understanding, patient and strong enough to accept life as it is.
File:Woman in a bikini grabbing her own breasts.jpg


Yes. This is basically what his view was, plus some clothes.

My mother looks up at me over her phone and asks if I'd like to switch spots for a better view.  I decline.  My mom goes back to scrolling through Facebook and it's many wonders, and she says without breaking her gaze, "Don't ever dumb yourself down."

Soon enough, it is looking like the guy seals the deal as she clings onto him, damn near dry-humping his leg as they get up to leave.


Finally.

I used to be a wild one.
I used to be all about the attention.
I used to have an unbreakable tolerance for drama and nonsense, much like the tolerance I have for waiting on guests.

 

Where has it gone?  Who knows.
And I don't want it back.  No one should ever want that back.
They say ignorance is bliss.  Is it?  I'd rather have my eyes opened to see things for what they really are.  It's been a long time, but I'm finally getting the bigger picture.

The door closes behind the traipsing couple.  I let out an audible sigh of relief, thankful for the tranquility restored.
 

All pain is only temporary.

<3 Malia Etienette


Photo Credit:Gary Coleman- dev.ryot.org
Latest Tickle Me Elmo- www.usatoday30.usatoday.com
Purse Snatcher- www.ohanablog.com
Boobs- http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Woman_in_a_bikini_grabbing_her_own_breasts.jpg

Waitress- www.clatl.com


No comments:

Post a Comment