Thursday, January 17, 2013

Yes, Please- May I Have Another?

What do you think of when you picture a waitress?

Do you picture one of those cute, fifties coney girls from the movies? The ones with the skates and the unnatural perma-smiles plastered on their faces, like they came straight out of a Zoloft ad?


Flaoting Waitress and Dog


Or the Hooters broads with the barely-there spanks and tanks and tall, crisp white socks?
A statuesque figure in a neatly pressed, spotless tuxedo shirt, a snug bow tie and black floor length apron? 
Or even still, a crotchety, squat woman in a food stained screen-printed tee with a notepad whipped out, rushed on taking orders?


It's funny, when you're actually in the game you begin to see things slightly differently.

To me, I see an entirely different world being unveiled.
I see an overworked student who has to stay up late tonight to write a term paper.
Someone who worked the last twelve or thirteen hours straight without a break, and who also had to eat in the back of the kitchen, standing up.
There's a single mother who has to work the closing bar shift to provide for two other mouths, no thanks to a deadbeat dad.
An actor, not as successful as he dreamt he'd be, turning tables in hopes he'll one day see that silver screen.
Others are struggling because of the dismal job market, the cut backs and stagnation.
 

Where I work at, a fine establishment called The Valley*, our servers come from all different areas of life, but no matter what restaurant you're at, there is always a common theme or struggle with these workers. It's why we're here. This is our indentured servitude.  Yesterday I worked from 10am until 10:30pm. I pocketed maybe fifty dollars after all was said and done, after buying lunch on my break, tipping out and paying $10 for parking at a structure that rakes in half a million dollars a year by itself.

Fucking scam.

Sometimes I find it frustrating, this whole "serving" thing.  I'm back in college for a full 16 credits this semester, just so I don't get stuck in this job for the rest of my life.  My only life other than school IS work. A whole 37 hours a week outside of my educational schedule. When do I find the time to do my homework? Not really sure. Sometimes it falls to the wayside. I take "burning the candle at both ends" as kind of a motto for life.  It's my natural high, and also what may just be the end of me. Even with reading this over, I'm sounding like a bottle of piss and vinegar. =[



I work in a extremely affluent city filled with professionals and business owners alike.  Elitists. When asked, outside of work, what I do for a living, I get a few raised eyebrows.  It's embarrassing at times when your cousin owns his own house and is a school teacher- he's two weeks younger than I am. I'm almost twenty-five.  It's embarrassing when I know half of my high school has moved on in their lives, and have families of their own.  It's embarrassing when lawyers in the area ask my major.  Upon responding with Communication, some scoff.  Tell me I'll never get anywhere with that degree.

And all I really want to do is to tell them, they can take their silver spoon and shove it up their...

Asinine statements like that really should just be brushed off, but they still break me down.  When calling my name, use it.  I had to learn the menu, and memorize your complicated order to a T. The one you modified four different times, creating a custom meal that doesn't even exist with what we have to offer. The least you could do is remember the name of the person who will be handling your food.  And no, gentleman, it's not "sweetie" or "hun".

When asking for a refill, if I haven't noticed your half empty glass already, it's "When you have time, could you..." or "May I..." and oh man..."Please and Thank you" work WONDERS. Not this "Hey, get me a..." or my favorite- waving the glass around in the air like you're looking to make a toast. And please, don't snap your fingers at me.  I have six other tables that I'm juggling, and I am for sure working one hell of a lot harder than your trust fund child ever will in their entire life.

I'm at work, but I'm not your lackey.
I'm your server, not your slave.
I'm your waitress, not a mind-reader.

If you need something, simply ask nicely and thou shall receive. 



For those who understand:  86 Rudeness, SUB Manners.

A little respect goes a long way.

And NOW? On to the rest of my homework..

-LM
*

Name of establishment changed to protect privacy.


photo credit:
www.freakingnews.com

Meghan Mitchell "Tired Waitress"
http://society6.com/mitchellpostproduction/Tired-Waitress?show=promoters

http://www.danlikesthis.info/2012/05/please-and-thank-you/

No comments:

Post a Comment