Monday, April 1, 2013

On Ordering for Two

Something that I have not yet understood, nor will ever understand I suppose, is when a man outright orders for his date. Whether this be the drink, the appetizer, the entrĂ©e.  The WHOLE kit and caboodle. It's just feels weird.

"Could I offer you a glass of wine, iced tea, coke?"
"Yeah, she'll have a cabernet and so will I...house."

It's like a demonstration of Know & Tell.
You're pretty good, sir. You must have ESP.


Did she want it? I always wonder.
It comes off like this-
either the broad is a mindless tart and can't think for herself, baffled at the complexity of such a decision...
OR she has no voice in the matter, which makes you the controlling asshole.

Maybe you've been married ten years, and you know what the other wants. 
Maybe that IS the case, but typically I can tell when it is.

Now here's why I don't usually consider the latter.

I had gone on a date not entirely too long ago.  Usually I need a minute to peruse the menu.
God knows who has what to offer, and if it is a place I haven't been to I like to see for myself before I place my order.

But no.

The waiter comes.

What does my date do?

"Yeah- Get me a... (first of all, let me pause here. "Get me a" is so rude, it's not even funny. As a server on the receiving end of that order, I'd love to snap back, "Get you what? A side of manners to go with that?") Get me a water, she'll have one too.  Then we'll each have a cup of your soup of the day, and the calamari, followed by Maine lobster which we'll split."

Ok.
Huge fail.

First of all, this was the first time we had eaten out.

Secondly, I don't want to split a meal. Yes, I might be a lady (with a horrifically appalling trucker mouth to boot), but I don't always eat such dainty meals.  I can put some food down from time to time, and I am 100% unapologetic for that. 



And thirdly? I don't fucking eat lobster. I don't like the fact that it gets cold after two minutes, I don't like having to work for my food, but most importantly- I DON'T like food with an exoskeleton that LOOKS at me. Gross.

But what did I do? Eat it.


So did the broad want a cabernet? Your guess is as good as mine.
Men: Let your ladies decide.  Your palette might not exactly match hers.
Yes, it's nice to try new things, and get a little adventurous from time to time.
However, when I am told I am eating something- even if it IS delicious, I'm left with that awful taste in my mouth of not being allowed to have a say in the issue.

Yes, an issue as small as placing an order at a restaurant but HERE is how women read it:

If you don't let me choose my own meal, what ELSE are you going to control further down the road?

Just some food for thought. :)
Enjoy.

-LM

Photo Credit:
"What New Yorkers Don't Want to Know About the Maine Lobster Glut"- www.ouracadia.com
"The ABc's of Ordering Wine in a Restaurant"-  www.kitchentalks.com

2 comments:

  1. Nice food for thought. Have you EVER seen it the other way - where a woman orders for a man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually funny you ask that- You had me thinking for a few minutes. I can say perhaps once, back when I worked at a restaurant in Rochester Hills. The wife wore the pants in the relationship in a big way... and her 4-year-old daughter inherited the same demanding attitude. I can't say I thoroughly enjoying being run around by someone who still participates playing in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese.

    ReplyDelete